Rod Carter joined CBS 17 News as a weeknight evening anchor after spending about two decades at WFLA in Tampa, Florida. Rod is a proud graduate of Florida A&M University in Tallahassee.
He is a life member of the FAMU National Alumni Association.
He coaches and guides upcoming journalists as a mentor.
For years he has been the lead teacher for the NABJ-FAMU Journalism Short Course, instructing students in broadcast during an intensive weekend course.
Rod was a Fall 2021 adjunct professor of communications at St. Augustine’s University in Raleigh.
Rod was awarded the Kappa Tau Alpha (KTA) Hall of Fame Award from the University of South Florida, Zimmerman School of Advertising and Mass Communications.
He is immediate past Region III Director for the National Association of Black Journalists, as well as a past president of the Tampa Bay Association of Black Journalists. He’s currently a member of the Raleigh-Durham Chapter of the NABJ. Rod is also a member of the Society of Professional Journalists.
Outside journalism, Rod is a proud Life Member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. He is currently the International Director of Publicity for the fraternity. He is also the past 2nd Vice President and a charter member of the Sigma Xi Sigma chapter in Tampa. Since relocating to Raleigh, he has joined the Eta Sigma Chapter of the fraternity.
Rod is also a member of the NAACP.
Rod is very active in the community, serving now or in the past, on a number of boards:
- Triangle Rising Stars at DPAC Judge
- Community Leadership Board of the American Diabetes Association (past Board Member)
- The Crisis Center of Tampa Bay (past Board Member)
- Gentleman’s Quest mentoring program Advisory Board (Chairman)
- Board of Visitors, FAMU School of Journalism
- Tampa Bay Juneteenth Coalition Board
- Swope, Rodante Vanguard Award Selection Board
- Hillsborough Community College Digital, TV and Media Production Advisory Board
Congressional Black Caucus 2017 with Late Honorable Bro. John Lewis
Phi Beta Sigma "Real Talk" Moderator
Remember the Dream 2018
Historic Flight to Cuba
2016 Presidential Debates